Showing the Jlove on MySpace

anti_semitism_on_myspace.jpg

I guess this could also be called Adventures in MySpace part One:

Anti-Semite reminding me that we are, in fact, still in exile. His profile is http://www.myspace.com/oddai

This dude also sent Beach Hillel some tasty words of love. MySpace User Terms are pretty clear about this kind of stuff:

8. Content/Activity Prohibited.

Prohibited Content includes, but is not limited to Content that, in the sole discretion of MySpace.com: is patently offensive and promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;

Meanwhile this was getting kind of old and stinking up my inbox, so i thought I would post it here for posterity,

1. Nathan Tableman

10/16/2006 at 11:28 pm

not to state the stunningly obvious, but you are surprised at the swill on myspace???

2. Nakia

10/16/2006 at 11:49 pm

I’d say that was stinking up your inbox the minute it arrived.
    However, please explain this to me:”Anti-Semite reminding me that we are, in fact, still in exile.”
    Thanks!

3. david smith

10/17/2006 at 12:52 am

Nakia,

That’s funny, because precisely the reason I clicked on this post was to reject that very notion. This is my country, and I couldn’t be more at home in it. Yes, this country — just like Israel — has its share of racist bullies, authoritarian religious fanatics and extreme rightwing nationalists seeking to undermine its democracy; but this is my country, not theirs. If sometimes one has to fight to keep it that way, well that’s life.

It seems to me that anyone who feels he or she is alienated from or lacks a sense of national identification with this country might want to consider making plans to emigrate to one in which they have a greater sense of belonging.

As for me, I’d ask that no one give a second thought to the nature of my relationship with the United States, or the extent of my ostensible exile therefrom.

4. Shy Guy

10/17/2006 at 2:49 am

Nakia and David, it’s just a matter of time.

“It shall come to be on that day that the Lord will once again show His hand… And He will gather in the dispersed ones of Judah from the four corners of the earth.” (Isaiah 11:11-12)

5. david smith

10/17/2006 at 4:30 am

Right. So what?

God can and will implement his plans in His own good time, without the slightest need for any effort on my part, Nakia’s, or anyone else’s to hurry them along.

6. Shy Guy

10/17/2006 at 5:13 am

David, I didn’t see Rabbi Yonah’s comment saying otherwise.

However, G-d offers us a choice in redemption:

1. Beh’itah, literally in its time or when time is up, or has run out, so to say.

2. Achi’shenah, the expedited version, determined by us, in which case our efforts are indeed needed.

Of course, you can continue going for what’s behind door #1, where the lovely Carrol Merrill is standing. However, our history has shown that “nothing is forever”, especially when it comes to comfy and cozy exiles.

7. Nakia

10/17/2006 at 7:47 am

I just couldn’t get that whole “in exile” thing. It didn’t make sense. I believe that no people who have a relationship with G-d can be in exile, for God is their destination, their home, and when you love G-d, one is always home, for G-d is always with you.
    But maybe that’s just the way black folk have learned to cope.

8. Shy Guy

10/17/2006 at 8:14 am

Nakia, according to Jewish understanding, G-d is in exile so to speak, when the Jewish people are. Far from the ultimate circumstance.

9. Shanah

10/17/2006 at 8:34 am

Right. A hardcore Palestinian muslim who loves the Yankees and chicks whose myspace profile photos are pictures of their boobs. He’s *so* totally hardcore…bet he won’t be blowing himself up for virgin sex anytime soon.

10. Offensive Commentator

10/17/2006 at 8:47 am

“A hardcore Palestinian muslim who loves the Yankees and chicks whose myspace profile photos are pictures of their boobs…bet he won’t be blowing himself up for virgin sex anytime soon.”

The Muslims who slammed aircraft into the WTC were similarly “devout”.

11. Tom Morrissey

10/18/2006 at 11:54 am

This guy confirms what every Sox fan knows in his/her heart about Yankee fans. Hell, they’re all terrorists out there in the bleachers.

12. Billy

10/22/2006 at 1:24 pm

Is is fair to call him antisemitic? He just seems REALLY anti-Zionist/Pro-Palestinian.