Memo to Hollywood: Boycott Ken Loach

You will never work in this town again.

You will never work in this town again.

Ken Loach accuses Israel of state terrorism, massacres. He convinces the Edinburgh Film Festival to return 300 pounds that the Israeli’s had provided to the festival to support the festival bringing an Israeli filmmaker. The film’s subject matter? Love. Some up-and-coming Israeli filmmaker is the latest victim of the lunacy of Ken Loach.

Hollywood beware – Ken Loach is a raving anti-Israel maniac. Don’t buy his crappy films at Cannes.

Loach wants to Boycott Israel? Ok, Let’s boycott Ken Loach. Boycott his new film Looking For Eric. Boycott his old films. Post negative reviews of his films on Amazon, Netflix, on DVD sites. Let Ken Loach’s films rot on the shelves. Don’t fund his future films. Does he have a star on the Walk of Fame? Does anyone know?

Cultural terrorist Ken Loach needs to see that “every action has a reaction,” as Bob Marley ZZ”L has said.

The Edinburgh International Film Festival on Tuesday returned a 300-pound grant from the Israeli embassy, after bowing to pressure from director Ken Loach, the British Times reported on Wednesday.

The grant was intended to enable Tel Aviv University graduate Tali Shalom Ezer to travel to Scotland for a screening of her film, Surrogate.

According to the Times, Ezer’s film is a romance set in a sex-therapy clinic, and makes no reference to war or politics. It recently won the award for best film at an international women’s film festival in Israel.

Loach on Monday urged film goers to boycott the festival after pro-Palestinian activists protested the grant for the Israeli film. Loach has long been an outspoken critic of Israel and its actions in Gaza and Lebanon.

“The massacres and state terrorism in Gaza make this money unacceptable,” the Times quoted Loach as saying. “With regret, I must urge all who might consider visiting the festival to show their support for the Palestinian nation and stay away.”

Watch this video where he initiates a tribunal against Israel.

1. Johny

5/20/2009 at 10:53 am

Also don’t watch the new film as it is about Scumchester United’s “Legend” Eric “Kung-fu kick” Cantona. He ruined the 1996 FA Cup final for me.

Ken Loach, also has described the rise in anti-semitism as “understandable”. Stalinist tosser

2. Janice

5/20/2009 at 11:27 am

What is the difference between what Ken Loach has done in protest of the brutal almost 42 year long occupation and the firing of professors, often Jewish, who criticize Israel? What is the difference when My Name is Rachel Corrie is pulled from the New York stage because some of New York’s Jews did not want Rachel’s words to be heard?

Many Jews will stand by Ken Loach and his actions. We will boycott Israel until the occupation and the theft of Palestinian lands comes to an end. And we will see the films by this fine film maker who opposes oppression and injustice not only in the Occupied Territories but in other parts of the world as well.

3. Steve

5/20/2009 at 11:54 am

No, Ken Loach does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

5/20/2009 at 12:03 pm

Oh yeah definitely Janice. Fight the power. Yeah. Good on ya!

I’m opposed to banning stuff. But allowing people to make an informed decision about where they spend their entertainment dollars is fine. And if they want to support a loathsome sack of shit like Ken Loach then so be it. You want to boycott Israel? Go ahead. I’ll put my faith in the support of decent, fair minded individuals any day – your little boycott bullshit does not seem to be working though and you and your ilk will continue to be viewed as pariahs amongst the greater Jewish community. Mark my words – Ken Loach will never work in this town again. But by all means feel free to enjoy his pissant, effete and overwrought oeuvre.

5. kal

5/20/2009 at 12:43 pm

couldn’t have said it better myself,ck-more power to ya.Btw,janice,methinks the point is,there IS NO difference!

6. Janice

5/20/2009 at 3:00 pm

ck, when you say that Ken Loach will never work in this town again I guess that you mean that Jews in the film industry have so much power that they can keep anyone from a job. Some might say a statement like that borders on anti-semitism.

If you want, you can speak for the “greater Jewish community” but I well know that many Jews are upset with Israel and if the “greater Jewish community” wants to continue the brutal occupation, continue with the theft of land that does not belong to them, oppress another people who were in no way responsible for the Holocaust that brought Israel into being, then I have no desire to be part of the “greater Jewish community” nor do all the Jews I know, both friends and family. We chose to be part of the Jewish community with a conscience and with a desire for justice for both peoples.

7. Lisa Goldman

5/20/2009 at 3:21 pm

Oh please. You’re all getting far too upset about this rather minor incident. Ken Loach is clearly a bit of a wanker – as they say in England. Does anyone actually watch his dreadful films? Voluntarily, I mean. Not that I support boycotting his films. That’s a bit silly, given that the point of this post is to condemn him for boycotting an Israeli film.

Cultural boycotts are counter-productive and morally dubious. Films are one of the best ways to humanize one another and build cross-cultural bridges between putative enemies. If Loach were genuinely interested in furthering peace, and if his only objective was to prevent the Israeli government from paying for the director’s plane ticket, then he should have paid for it himself.

8. AlexK

5/20/2009 at 4:00 pm

I think Janice and her other anti-Semitic “Jews” (ha!) should boycott Israel completely and stop using her Intel chip on her computer. Unless she’s on an AMD chip, well, then, I’m sure the cell phone she uses was built by thieving Jews like me and my family in Israel. Janice, I can only hope that when the Jihadees get ALL of us Jews, you get to live an extra 5 minutes longer for your righteousness. Man, what I would give for that extra 5 minutes!

9. Rabbi Yonah

5/20/2009 at 8:06 pm

Janice –

The land of Israel was not stolen by Israelis. It belongs to the Jewish people. BUt we are big boys and can figure out a way to share.

Palestinians are under occupation because the have refused peace, and warred with Israel. Remember Oslo? Camp David? They had peace – they choose war, time and time again.

And regarding CK’s admonition that Ken will never work in this town again, that is sarcasm.

10. xisnotx

5/20/2009 at 8:29 pm

i dont think loach cares much about a hollywood star.

5/20/2009 at 8:37 pm

Janice is either a troll or an idiot.

12. Lisa Goldman

5/21/2009 at 12:57 am

Oh come on, guys. There’s no need to pile on to Janice. She has an opinion, she made her case and you can offer counter-arguments. But what’s with the ad-hominem attacks? I expected more from the Jewlicious crowd.

5/21/2009 at 12:59 am

Once again Lisa makes her point well and succinctly without resort to bombast. I too am unequivocally against cultural boycotts. But I won’t watch any more Loach films bc life is too short to waste on that sort of tripe. As for his “peace” activism, he and his ilk with their one-sided approach are about as effective in promoting genuine lasting peace as… uhm… as something that is chronically ineffective. Too early to be funny. I was thinking one=armed juggler but that doesn’t really work, does it?

5/21/2009 at 1:05 am

Sorry, I believe – truly believe – that Janice is either a troll or an idiot. I am speaking the truth. I could hold back and argue, for example, the claim about professors being fired for left wing views by talking about which faction controls MESA (read: Juan Cole and his cronies) and who dominates academia, but considering the only example that comes to mind about a fired professor with views about Israel is that of Finkelstein, I find her comment to be trollish or stupid. Likewise with her comments about the Rachel Corrie play and other comments. Why do we need to respect every single person who comes here and makes silly remarks about Jewish power (or perceived abuse thereof)? Why can’t I just pre-empt the BS by calling it as I see it? It’s not civil? It’s also not civil to come in here with discussions about Jewish power and we’re not even to the part where I have to discuss the “land theft” and “Holocaust that brought Israel into being” comments.

I welcome you to read serious discussions like the one in “Leaving the West Bank” where you see the respect with which serious comments are treated.

5/21/2009 at 7:31 am

Janice’s grammatical errors make her out as either German, Dutch / Flemmish Belgian, or Scandinavian. They do have trolls in Scandinavian mythology.

16. semsem

5/21/2009 at 9:27 am

Janice is not even Jewish.

17. Janice

5/21/2009 at 11:49 am

If you don’t want to believe I am Jewish that is up to you. I know some of you can’t stand it when someone who is Jewish stands up for justice for both peoples, not just for Israelis. I guess I learned my values from my Jewish parents and grandparents who taught me that the tribe isn’t always right and that taking other people’s land isn’t exactly kosher.

As for being from another country, if you call New York another country I guess you might be correct. But I call New York part of the United States.

And once again, get it through your heads that there are more and more Jews who do not say that Israel speaks for them. Some speak out and some are afraid to air their thoughts for fear of being attacked by people who refuse to allow divergence of opinion when it comes to Israel. You who want Jews who are opposed to Israeli policies of occupation want us to shut up just as those who opposed to the Vietnam War was told to “love it or leave it.”

Check out Jewish Voice for Peace and Muzzlewatch as well as Tikkun if you have the courage to see that there are Jews who speak out for peace with justice for both peoples. Check out Rabbis for Human Rights. Check out B’Tselem. Check out Machsom Watch. Maybe you will find out that all Jews do not march in lock step when it comes to Israel or to any other issue.

5/21/2009 at 12:04 pm

Jewish Voice for Peace and Muzzlewatch as well as Tikkun

😆

Trust me, we’ve checked them out. At least now we know you’re not a troll.

5/21/2009 at 12:23 pm

I thought those were blogs run by circumcised leprechauns?

Now not only the grammar but also the imagery has got a German, Dutch / Flemmish, or Scandinavian touch.

20. AlexK

5/21/2009 at 12:29 pm

I just checked them out again and think they are twice as stupid as before. Job well done Janice. Can you please work on Obama’s next campaign, which should be starting, well, about now.

21. Mark Bernadiner

7/20/2009 at 9:41 am

Ken Loach is a dull, talentless filmmaker, profoundly ignorant idiot and islamofascist prostitute, typical briton.

22. Nanoboy

10/14/2010 at 9:19 pm

Janice,
    There were Jews who supported the Spanish Inquisition, the Third Reich. And yes there were many Jews who buried the story of the Holocaust while it was going on. Israel was not created from the Holocaust and I suggest you read where the word Palestine comes from. Also a great Hebrew phrase for you and your likes, “The compassionate for the evil are evil for the compassionate”